The skin is the largest organ of the body. It covers everything inside of you and keeps things out unless you have a cut or damage. Those are incredibly important jobs and it’s no surprise that the skin requires from TLC of its own from time to time so it can continue to do its work well. At Swetech Family Medicine, we offer dermatology services to keep your skin healthy.
Types of Skin Problems Treated at Swetech Family Medicine
Patients come to our practice for dermatology services to address skin problems like these:
- Allergies: Itchy, bumpy, red skin caused by allergic reactions to medication, food, or plants like poison ivy. Can present as eczema, hives, or other skin rashes.
- Cysts: Small, slow-growing, non-cancerous bumps beneath the skin, often caused by blocked glands and typically found on the face, neck, or torso.
- Folliculitis: A common skin infection in which hair follicles become inflamed. Can be caused by problems such as ingrown hairs, hair removal, or bacteria.
- Keloids: A raised, lumpy, or ridged scar that can grow to be bigger than the original injury (e.g., acne or a surgical incision) that caused the scar.
- Moles: Pigment-producing areas of the skin that grow in a cluster and are susceptible to unusual growth or change.
- Rosacea: A common skin condition that causes visible blood vessels, redness, or pus-filled bumps on the face.
- Ringworm: A common, superficial fungal infection that causes scaly, red, itchy skin.
- Shingles: A reactivation of the chickenpox virus that causes a painful rash and blisters, usually on the torso.
- Skin tags: Benign, small flaps of tissue that hang off the skin, often found on the neck, chest, eyelids, or underarms.
- STDs: Skin conditions caused by skin-to-skin contact and the passing of the human papillomavirus (HPV). Can include genital warts, herpes, or gonorrhea.
- Tinea versicolor: A minor fungal infection that causes small, patchy, discolored areas of skin, often found on the shoulders or torso.
- Warts: Small, fleshy, painless growths on the skin caused by a strain of HPV, typically found on hands, feet, or genitals.
Skin cancer is one of the biggest concerns, of course, as melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer. Without treatment, this condition can be fatal. We provide skin cancer screenings, conduct biopsies, and remove moles.
Other dermatology services include TB skin tests, suturing, sunburn treatment, acne treatment, and wrinkle treatment.
What Your Skin Has to Do With Your Overall Health
As doctors of osteopathy (DOs), our examination of your skin problems also includes an examination of you as a whole. Every part and system of your body interacts with other parts and systems. The skin problems you’re experiencing are sometimes an indication of other health concerns that are lurking within.
For example, patients suffering with a skin condition like eczema may think they need only topical treatment. However, we know that gastrointestinal disorders like leaky gut can lead to skin problems, which means there is more to be treated than just the obvious skin irritation.
We understand that you just want your skin complaints to go away. They can be uncomfortable, painful, and embarrassing, especially when they’re located on a visible area of your skin. Getting the right diagnosis and curing your whole body, as well as your dermatology problem, is our goal.
Dermatology Services at Swetech Medical Center in Clinton Township
Dermatology is an important branch of medicine. There will be times we refer patients to skin specialists to address pressing skincare needs, but our Clinton Township patients know that Swetech Medical Center is the safe and smart place to start. Your medical history matters, your acute condition, and any other symptoms that may seem unrelated when they are, in fact, critical to your diagnosis.
Rely on our DOs to tend to your immediate skin concerns with our dermatology services while caring for the rest of your health and wellness too. Schedule an appointment today.