If you are living with chronic conditions, rely on the doctors of osteopathic medicine (DOs) at Swetech Medical Center to help you manage your health challenges. Chronic disease management requires a hands-on, whole-body approach to wellness, so you can learn how to live with and manage your disease instead of allowing it to dictate your life to you.
Chronic Disease Management in Clinton Township
At Swetech Family Medicine, we treat patients with the following chronic conditions:
- Patients with diabetes often struggle with other health problems, like poor circulation, heart disease, vision problems, joint diseases, and mental health issues. DOs know that diabetics struggle to manage their ongoing health problem that demand daily attention and care. The goal is to help diabetics make lifestyle changes in the areas that are most important to them while working to benefit their health and ease the side effects of diabetes.
- COPD and asthma. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) includes lung diseases and respiratory disorders like chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and nonreversible asthma that cause increasing breathlessness. Osteopathic doctors work to improve pulmonary function by targeting the musculoskeletal, nervous, circulatory, and lymphatic systems.
- The sympathetic nervous system can have a direct effect on blood pressure. A build-up of stress hormones in the body and simultaneously constricting arteries can build up pressure and lead to hypertension. Balancing the mechanics of your spine and identifying abnormalities through osteopathic medicine can help manage high blood pressure.
- High cholesterol. Medication has its place in helping to treat high cholesterol. But in osteopathic medicine, we seek holistic ways to manage cholesterol too, especially for patients who object to statins. Lifestyle changes, supplements, and diet adjustments can all modify cardiovascular risk.
- Thyroid conditions. Whether hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, an overactive or underactive thyroid gland can wreak havoc on the entire body. So many thyroid issues go undiagnosed or overmedicated to treat an unknown. DOs go beyond basic blood tests to look at the symptoms you’re exhibiting to address how your lifestyle and environmental factors affect your wellbeing and are preventing you from self-healing.
- Anxiety and depression. Because DOs treat body, mind, and spirit, seeing a doctor of osteopathy for mental health support is a smart decision, especially if you have had no luck with medications or you’re in a place where you want to be medication-free. Many people with anxiety and depression respond to holistic treatment that helps them manage stress, identify experiences and triggers, develop a manageable exercise regimen, and cultivate healthy relationships.
- Doctors of osteopathic medicine are trained to understand how your body works as a whole, how one muscle or nerve can affect other parts of the body. Lower back pain isn’t always just lower back pain; it could be indicative of a much larger issue within your system. The pain management and therapy we provide helps our patients live with chronic pain like arthritis, degenerative discs, fibromyalgia, sciatica, and sports injuries using hands-on, body manipulation therapies.
Be the Healthiest You That You Can Be
Sufferers of a chronic condition or affliction who have had enough with cookie-cutter care and unhelpful medications find relief under the hands of an osteopathic doctor. The treatment we offer is customized to your chronic condition, so you can feel better and manage what seems unmanageable.
At Swetech Family Medicine, we treat every chronic condition as a whole-body disease. Our goal isn’t to address one problem on the surface – we look beyond the symptoms to the cause of your health concerns so you can feel better in body and mind.
We can help you be as healthy as possible, even in the face of a chronic condition. Contact Swetech Medical Center or Swetech Urgent Care in Clinton Township to discuss holistic treatment for your ongoing health problems.