Digestive problems cause discomfort, embarrassment, and stress. Imbalances within your gastrointestinal system also lead to aches, pains, and chronic illnesses throughout your body. Your digestive system plays a major role in your immunity and, when it’s compromised, you’re more susceptible to being unwell. At Swetech Family Medicine, we identify the root of your digestive disorder and treat it at its source, so you can have a healthier, happier life.
Understanding Digestive Disorders
Digestive disorders make themselves known quite clearly but they are not always what they seem. Often, a gastrointestinal problem masquerades as other immune-related health conditions like arthritis, skin conditions, anxiety and depression, asthma, fibromyalgia, headaches, and more.
Patients rely on the full-body diagnostic approach of doctors of osteopathic medicine because we go beyond the symptoms you’re experiencing and look at your whole to truly determine what’s happening with your health.
If you’re living with any of the following afflictions or problems, we do not take them at face value but begin diagnosis and treatment by determining their origin – and, most importantly, whether they could be the source of any other health problems you’re experiencing:
- Celiac disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative colitis
Categories of Digestive Disorders
Close to 75 percent of your immune system is in your gut. Any digestive disorder disturbs your body’s immunity and affects how it works. Some of the broadest categories of digestive disorders include:
- Food allergies: Some people are born with allergies to foods like wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, or nuts, while others develop an allergy over time because of lifestyle, diet, or environment. Signs include food cravings, fatigue, headaches, skin problems, respiratory conditions, aching joints, clumsiness, and even infertility.
- Food sensitivities: When the body reacts to a food or food additive (like MSG, aspartame, or certain preservatives), this is considered a food sensitivity.
- Food intolerance: When the digestive system is irritated by food, it can cause gas, cramps, diarrhea, or bloating. One of the most common food intolerances is gluten, which is found in wheat, rye, and barley and can present as a thyroid problem, skin problems, chronic fatigue, auto-immune disorders, and more.
- Celiac disease: A genetic, autoimmune disorder, celiac disease is a permanent intolerance to gluten that causes severe inflammation in the small intestine and can damage this organ.
- Candida: When the digestive system is plagued by an overgrowth of candida, gastrointestinal problems can result, as well as a condition known as leaky gut, which is when the intestinal wall becomes permeable. When intestinal contents are allowed to leak into the body, major health problems can occur and you can be plagued by conditions like chronic fatigue, mood disorders, and recurring vaginal yeast infections.
- Poor nutrition: Feeding your body the wrong way not only disturbs your digestive system, it negatively affects your immune system too. Making poor diet choices contributes to unwellness within the digestive tract and your whole body.
Help for Digestive Disorders in Clinton Township
When you’re held captive every day by the unpredictable ups and downs of your gastrointestinal system, when you’re suffering with inexplicable health conditions when it feels like you’re taking care of yourself, it’s time to find out what’s really going on with your body.
Your digestive system is powerful and large, and what’s happening in your gut affects the rest of your body. Rely on the doctors of osteopathy (DOs) at Swetech Medical Center to get to the bottom of your health problems and symptoms.
We look at your body from inside out and outside in. We review your unique medical history and discuss what you’re experiencing now. We treat your condition, not just your symptoms through our focus on full-body wellness.